Enter your postcode to find your nearest store to have a face-to-face chat!
How Medibank's No Gap General Surgery Program works
The No Gap General Surgery Program allows eligible members to pay no out-of-pocket costs* on a wide range of services as part of hospital admission for 2 general surgery procedures with participating surgeons at participating hospitals^.
1. Check your cover & waiting periods
You must have resident hospital cover with Digestive System included for laparoscopic cholecystectomy procedures, hernias and appendix included for hernia procedures. All applicable waiting periods must have been served.
2. Check your location
This program is available at participating hospitals in New South Wales and Victoria.
3. Get a referral from your GP
You will need a referral from your GP to see a participating surgeon included in the list below.
4. Talk to your health care team
Your surgeon will need to confirm their participation in the program and work with you to decide if the program is right for you and your health needs. If clinically appropriate, the surgeon's rooms will organise the surgery booking with the hospital.
Looking for further information?
Check out the articles below to learn more about the surgery process and making the most of your health cover.
Things you should know
* There may be out-of-pocket expenses associated with outpatient appointments, such as your initial visit with a participating surgeon in their consulting rooms. An excess or per day payment may still be payable, depending on the product a member has chosen and whether they are claiming under their hospital cover for the first time in a calendar year.
^ The participating hospital and participating surgeon will work with you to decide if the program is right for you and your health needs. However, if your medical surgeon refers you to a non-participating hospital and/or the program is not otherwise right for your health needs, any such procedure will not be part of the No Gap General Surgery Program and you may incur out-of-pocket costs.
The listing of a provider does not comprise any sort of representation or recommendation by Medibank regarding the provider. To the fullest extent allowed by law, such reference should not be construed as:
- an endorsement by Medibank; or
- commendation for the status of the provider’s registration with their registration bodies like the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA); or
- a recommendation or warranty by Medibank of, for or in relation to the provider’s services.
Accordingly, Medibank neither takes nor assumes any responsibility for the services provided. Members should rely on their own enquiries and seek any assurance or warranties directly from the provider in relation to the service or with the registration bodies (e.g. AHPRA) regarding any conditions or restrictions to the provider’s registration.
Information presented is refreshed regularly. Information is accurate at time of publishing.
Our team of experts are ready to help!
Fill in the form below or get in touch by calling our dedicated line 1300 110
We are open on Sundays.
In providing your telephone number, you consent to Medibank contacting you about health insurance.
We'll have someone call you soon to help with any questions you have.
Or, check out our FAQs and guides to help get you started.