- By visiting and using the Medibank Private Limited website ('Site'), including any linked pages or information owned by Medibank Private Limited, you agree to be bound by and abide by the following terms and conditions.
- Any disputes arising from, in relation to or in connection with the information contained on this Site are to be governed by the law of the State of Victoria. By visiting and using the Site you unconditionally submit to the jurisdiction of the Courts of that State.
- The materials on this Site have been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this Site, or on any other website accessed via this Site or otherwise, may not necessarily be accurate, complete or current. All results from the calculators are simulations which are indicative approximations only and are neither a quote nor a pre-qualification for cover.
- No person should act or fail to act on the basis of these materials. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Medibank Private and its officers, employees and agents disclaim any liability (including liability for negligence) to any person arising out of: any action or failure to act by any person in accessing, downloading, uploading, using or relying on or dealing in any way with any materials from the Site or from any other website on the Internet;
any errors or omissions on the Site or on any other website on the Internet (including but not limited to errors or omissions arising as a result of the negligence of Medibank Private or its officers, employees and agents); or
any delay or interruption in access to or use of the Site or any other website on the Internet (including but not limited to delay or interruption arising as a result of the negligence of Medibank Private or its officers, employees and agents).
- You accept all risks and responsibility for losses, damages, costs and other consequences resulting directly or indirectly from using the Site or any other website on the Internet and in relation to any information or material available from those sites. Medibank Private reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to delete, alter or move any message or other posted material on the Site. Medibank Private is under no obligation to update any information on the Site, or to correct any inaccuracy on the Site that may become apparent at a later time.
- The information on this site is current at 17/05/2013. Rules and benefit levels may change from time to time. If you anticipate treatment or a procedure for which you are expecting a benefit from Medibank Private, please contact us BEFORE commencing treatment to establish whether the benefit you expect will be paid.
- Where Medibank Private advertises on behalf of a provider or appears by reference of logo or otherwise in an advertisement of any provider, to the fullest extent allowed by law, such advertising or reference is not to be construed as:
- an endorsement by Medibank Private;
- an acknowledgment or representation as to fitness for purpose by Medibank Private; or
- a recommendation or warranty of, for, or in relation to the product or service of the provider by Medibank Private;
- The information provided in the Site, and its design, text, graphics and software, are (unless otherwise stated) copyright of Medibank Private.
- You are granted a revocable license to download the materials contained in this Site for your personal use, including for the purpose for transacting with Medibank Private. You must not otherwise modify, copy, reproduce, republish, frame, upload, post, transmit, distribute or provide a link to the contents of the Site in any way, except as expressly provided for on the Site, or with the written authorisation of Medibank Private.
Links and framing
- Medibank Private does not warrant the accuracy of any hypertext links provided on the Site, nor the suitability or accuracy of any content located at those links. Links and frames connecting the Site with other websites are for convenience only and do not mean that Medibank Private is associated with, endorses or approves those other websites, their content, or the people who run or contribute to them. Use or reliance on the content of those websites is at the user's own risk.
- Medibank Private does not represent or warrant that any files displayed or obtained from or through this Site, or and other website linked to it, are free from computer viruses or other defects. Any such files are provided, and may only be accessed or used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of those files. Medibank Private's liability for such an event is limited to the resupply of those files.
Warning regarding policy terms and availability
- All policies are subject to the terms and conditions of the Fund Rules, which are available for inspection at your nearest Medibank Private Store.
Medibank Private health insurance coverage is only available to Australian residents and holders of valid Australian visas.
If you have any questions about the issues covered in this site, please visit your nearest Medibank Store to speak to a Medibank Private representative or call 134190
Who are we?
We are Medibank Private Limited ABN 47 080890 259 (Medibank) and Australian Health Management Group Pty Ltd ABN 96 003 683 298 (ahm), a subsidiary of Medibank. References to 'us', 'we' or 'our' include Medibank, ahm and, where the context requires, other Medibank subsidiaries (collectively Medibank Group Companies).
Who does this policy apply to?
- All current and past members of Medibank and ahm whose personal information we have collected
- All individuals whose personal information is collected in relation to the products and services offered by Medibank Group Companies
- All individuals whose personal information is collected by us in the course of our functions and activities such as service providers, contractors and prospective employees.
Protecting your privacy
We are committed to protecting your personal information and complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and other State and Territory laws governing the use of personal information (collectively, Privacy Laws) which regulate how personal information is handled from collection to use and disclosure, storage, access and disposal.
'Personal information' generally means any kind of information in any form about a person that identifies that person and includes sensitive information such as health information.
- how we manage the personal information that we collect, use and disclose; and
- how to contact us if you:
- have any questions about our management of your personal information; or
- would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you; or
- would like to lodge a complaint with us regarding our compliance with Privacy Laws.
What kind of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- identifying information such as name, date of birth and employment details;
- contact information such as home address, home and mobile phone numbers and email address;
- government-issued identifiers including Medicare numbers;
- financial information, such as bank account and credit card details;
- sensitive information, including information about your health, health services provided to you and your claims;
- biometric information and templates, such as voice recognition information;
- information about your activities, including sporting and other lifestyle interests; and
- information about involvement in other programs you participate in or memberships you may have.
You generally have the right not to identify yourself when dealing with us where it is lawful and practicable for us to allow it. However, on many occasions we will not be able to do this. For example, we will need your name and residential address in order to provide you with private health insurance coverage.
If you do not provide or authorise the provision of personal information we request, we may be unable to provide you with some or all of our products and services or the product and services of our partners.
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
We will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner.
We may collect your personal information1 from:
- you, another person covered by your policy or from a person authorised to provide us this information on your behalf;
- a third party such as a hospital, dentist or optometrist or other health service provider who has treated you;
- an employer, educational institution, government agency or adviser who has dealt with you (or their authorised representatives);
- Medibank Group Companies who have provided you with services including health-related services;
- a service provider engaged by us or a third party who partners with us; and
- another health fund, if you are looking to transfer your membership.
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We store your information securely and have a range of security controls in place to ensure that your information and documents are protected. Our employees are trained on privacy and access to personal information is restricted to individuals properly authorised to do so.
We also take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. We keep your personal information for only as long as it is required in order to provide you with products and services and to comply with our legal obligations. When it is no longer needed for these purposes, we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify this personal information.
Why do we collect, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect your personal information to enable Medibank Group Companies and our third party suppliers and partners to provide you with products and services, including insurance, health-related services, partner offerings and information on other products and services (collectively Insurance and Health Products). We may also be required by law to collect some personal information.
Where you provide personal information to the Medibank Group Companies as a service provider, contractor or prospective employee, we collect your personal information to enable us to fulfil the purpose and related purposes for which you provided the information.
We may use your personal information for these purposes, including to:
- process your policy application and manage your policy;
- manage our relationship with you;
- process and audit payments and claims;
- analyse, investigate, pursue and prevent suspected fraudulent activities;
- manage and develop Insurance and Health Products;
- assess your suitability for and contact you about Insurance and Health Products that we believe may be of benefit to you;
- partner or work with third parties to improve our membership offering and value;
- manage and develop our business and operational processes and systems;
- conduct marketing, feedback and research activities;
- manage and resolve any legal or commercial complaints or issues;
- perform other functions and activities relating to our business; and
- comply with our legal obligations.
In doing so we may disclose your personal information to persons or organisations in Australia and overseas including:
- our subsidiaries;
- our agents and service providers;
- our professional advisors;
- health service providers;
- other persons covered by your policy as part of administering the policy and paying benefits;
- potential or actual buyers of our assets, business or of shares in Medibank Group Companies;
- payment system operators and financial institutions;
- your agents and advisors or other persons authorised by, or responsible for, you;
- government agencies;
- your educational institution, migration agent or broker if you have OSHC or a visitors cover product;
- third party insurers whom we are authorised to represent if you purchase other insurance products through us;
- third parties with whom Medibank partners or works with to improve its membership offering and value;
- other health funds, service providers or other third parties who assist us in the detection and investigation of fraud;
- your employer (or their authorised representatives) if you have a corporate insurance product; and
- other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information.
How we communicate with you
To keep you informed quicker, where you provide us with an email address, we send most service-related communications to you by email. Service-related communications are the essential things you need to know about your cover, like annual tax statements, changes to premiums and account notices.
From time to time, we may also collect and use your personal information so that we can promote and market Insurance and Health Products to you and keep you informed of special offers from Medibank Group Companies and third parties, including by direct mail, SMS and MMS messages, by phone and email.
You can choose how we communicate with you and manage your consents to receiving promotions and offers by contacting us:
Medibank: Access the Manage My Preferences page within the Medibank Online Member Services facility, call us on 132 331 or 134 190 or visit one of our stores.
ahm: Access the Settings page within the ahm Online Member Services facility, call us on 134 246 or (+61) 2 4221 8888 Monday to Friday: 8:00am - 8:00pm or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How is your information managed when you receive health-related services from us?
MHS may collect and use your personal information to provide these services to you including to:
- manage their relationship with you and contact you for follow up purposes;
- manage, review, develop and improve their health-related services and their business and operational processes and systems;
- resolve any legal and/or commercial complaints or issues; and
MHS may collect your personal information from another Medibank Group Company, from you or from a person authorised by or responsible for you.
If you use health-related services, MHS may disclose your personal information to Medibank or ahm in order for us to pay benefits for health-related services and to review, develop and improve the services.
In order to perform the above functions, MHS companies may disclose your personal information to each other and to third parties such as their agents, service providers and professional advisors, health service providers, persons authorised by or responsible for you, and to other parties to whom they are authorised or required by law to disclose information including government agencies, and these parties may collect that information.
Medibank Group Companies may also use and disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to each other:
- to assess from what other services you may benefit and to facilitate the provision of such services
- so we may have an integrated view of our members and provide you a better and personalised service; and
- to contact you (including by telephone call, text message or email) in relation to our health-related services.
You may withdraw your consent to the sharing of your sensitive information between Medibank Group Companies or to being contacted in relation to our health-related services by contacting us:
Medibank: Access the Manage My Preferences page within the Medibank Online Member Services facility, call us on 132 331 or 134 190 or visit one of our stores.
ahm: call us on 134 246 or (+61) 2 4221 8888 Monday to Friday: 8:00am - 8:00pm or email us at email@example.com
Do we disclose your personal information overseas?
We may need to disclose your personal information to organisations located outside of Australia from time to time in the ordinary course of our business. Most of these overseas organisations are services providers or related entities which provide support and assistance to us in delivering our products and services to you.
Where we do, we take reasonable steps to ensure that your information is given the same type of protection as it is afforded within Australia. This may be through satisfying ourselves that the overseas organisation has controls in place to comply with Australian privacy laws, ensuring that the overseas organisation is located in a country which we believe has a similar privacy regime to Australia or through contractually or otherwise mandating the adequate management of the information.
On occasion, we may also disclose your personal information to overseas organisations where you instruct us or expressly consent to us doing so. In such cases, we may not take the above steps in relation to the management of your information.
If you have a corporate health insurance product, there may be occasions where we are instructed by your employer to disclose your information to an overseas organisation in order to administer your policy. In such instances, we may not be able to take reasonable steps to ensure that your information will be afforded the same protection as in Australia and you may not be able to seek redress for how your information is handled under Australian privacy law.
Please see the section at the end of this policy which outlines the main countries to which personal information may be disclosed.
You can access or correct your personal information. How do you contact us to do so?
We will generally provide you with access to your personal information if practicable (although an administration fee may be charged), and will take reasonable steps to amend any personal information about you which is inaccurate or out of date.
You can get in touch with us at Medibank or at ahm to request the above any time you wish to do so.
In some circumstances, we may not permit access to your personal information, or may refuse to correct your personal information. Where this happens, we will provide you with reasons for this decision, seek alternatives and take any further legally required steps.
Do you have any concerns over the way we have collected, used or disclosed your personal information?
If you have any concerns or queries about the manner in which your personal information has been handled, please contact our Privacy Officer whose contact details are provided below.
If you wish to make a formal complaint, please provide your complaint in writing to our Privacy Officer. We will consider your complaint promptly and contact you to seek to resolve the matter.
Generally, we will contact you to acknowledge receipt of your complaint and let you know who is managing your query within 5 business days. We will attend promptly to your complaint and will aim to respond to your concerns or otherwise keep you informed of our progress within 30 days.
If we have not responded to you within a reasonable time or if your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you are entitled under the Privacy Act to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Medibank: Privacy Officer, Medibank Private Limited, at GPO Box 9999 (Your Capital City) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Australian Health Management Group: Privacy Officer, Australian Health Management Group Pty Ltd, Locked Bag 1006, Matraville NSW 2036 or e-mail email@example.com
Further information about the application of the Privacy Act can be found at the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.privacy.gov.au.
Countries to which personal information may be disclosed
Listed below are the countries to which we may disclose personal information in the course of our functions and activities. This list does not include countries where you may have specifically instructed us to send your information or expressly consented to us sending your information.
Please see the Do we disclose your personal information overseas? section for information on the steps we take to ensure the adequate protection and appropriate management of this information.
- New Zealand
- United States
This list is updated from time to time. You can visit our website at any time to view the latest version.
Withdrawal of consent
You may also withdraw your consent to the use of personal information for any secondary purposes (whether for yourself or any dependant aged under 16 years) by ringing us on 134 190, visiting a Medibank store or withdrawing your consent via Online Member Services.
When you visit Medibank web sites, our servers collect routine logging information such as the pages visited, the time of your visit, the web browser that you are using, and the IP address associated with your request. This information is used in aggregated form to help us manage our servers and websites, and to improve our understanding of the needs of users. The information may also be used when investigating security incidents.
Medibank web pages use Google Analytics Premium and other third-party tools to better understand how people use the site. This makes information similar to that of routine server logs available to Google or other third-party statistics providers. The analytic reports that are produced are aggregated and do not identify individual people.
Third party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites across the internet. Medibank uses 3rd party cookies from Google to inform, report, optimise and serve ads based on visits to our website via Google Advertising cookies. this is done using the following applications:
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- DoubleClick Platform integrations
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
If you would like more information about the above, including how to opt out of data being collected or used by the aforementioned 3rd party cookies from Google, you can follow this link: https://www.google.com/intl/en/analytics/learn/privacy.html
We collect and use some of the information you provide when you request a quote or join Medibank or when you access Medibank Online Member Services by following a link on a Medibank email, we use this information to:
- Monitor the use of, and improve, the information and functions on Medibank’s websites
- Understand your interactions and preferences
- To provide you with information about products and services that may interest you
This information may be linked to cookies set in your browser and to information you have provided to us previously. You may use your browser preferences to disable these cookies.
Some Medibank websites present content and functionality provided by third parties. The content, and any information gathered, is not controlled by Medibank and users should consult the privacy policies of the third party providers. Medibank will take reasonable steps to advise users when third parties are involved in Medibank transactions.
Medibank Social Media Pages General House Rules
Medibank has a number of social media accounts, which currently includes Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (collectively, the ‘Pages’).
We encourage you to express your opinions and have open discussions, but we do ask that you act respectfully and responsibly.
We do not agree with or endorse, nor are we responsible for any comments, information, opinions, images or other content posted by individual users of our Pages. Such information does not necessarily reflect Medibank’s point of view, but rather that of the individuals who use our Pages. Medibank does not accept any responsibility or liability (either direct or indirect) for any loss or damage arising in connection with the use of (or reliance on) any information, links or other content posted on our Pages by individuals.
Medibank may remove content when it contains:
- offensive, abusive, obscene, profane, hateful or racist content
- content that is threatening, defamatory or contains a personal attack
- solicitations and advertisements by other organisations or endorsements of other products, services or organisations
- multiple or repetitive posts by a single or multiple users (often called SPAM)
- content that violates intellectual property rights of another party (eg. copyright)
- content that violates any law or regulation
- false, inaccurate or misleading comments
- content that personally identifies a person or group of people
- content that discloses any personal or financial information (eg. membership number or member contact details or anything connected to a policy or claim by a member as this information is private and confidential information)
- anything else Medibank considers inappropriate
We’ll review all content posted (including links) and remove if we think they’re inappropriate.
We want to share our health and wellbeing information with as many people as possible and our policy is to accept the majority of comments posted. However, repeated violations of our House Rules may cause the user to be blocked from one or more of our Pages.
While we want to be as helpful as we can, questions or issues related to specific Medibank products or services, claims or customer service issues should not be submitted via Medibank’s Page(s). Instead, please call us on 134 190 or visit www.medibank.com.au
We’re happy for you to share and comment on our content provided that you don’t alter it and that you cite us as the source. The design of our Page(s) and content that we post is the copyright of Medibank and our rights are reserved.
Whilst social media is 24/7, currently we’re not able to monitor our Page(s) around the clock. Because we may not be aware of inappropriate content straight away, we encourage users to ignore inappropriate or negative comments and respond politely. We also hope that you’ll tell us about any concerns via the email address below.
Please note that the information provided is general information only and not a substitute for professional health advice, diagnosis or treatment. Medibank does not guarantee the accuracy of any of the information, representations or advice displayed. To the extent permitted by law, Medibank accepts no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by readers of this site as a result of or in connection with the information contained on this site (whether by way of negligence or otherwise).
Thanks! If you have any questions or comments, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Medibank Live Chat is a facility established and maintained by Medibank Private Limited ACN 080 890 259 (Medibank) which enables you to chat to a Medibank consultant in real-time to assist you to navigate your way around Medibank's website. If you require information specific to your Medibank policy, please contact Medibank on 132 331 to speak to a Medibank consultant.
Eligibility for access
Medibank Live Chat is intended solely for use by Australian residents and holders of valid Australian visas who are eligible to purchase our insurance products. To be eligible to use Medibank Live Chat you must be 16 years of age or older. Medibank has the sole right to determine your eligibility for, and the extent of your access to, Medibank Live Chat.
Appropriate use of Medibank Live Chat
You must only use Medibank Live Chat for the purposes described in these terms and conditions. You must not use or attempt to use Medibank Live Chat to:
(a) corrupt, damage or interfere with Medibank Live Chat or any Medibank or third party data, software, hardware, website or information technology systems;
(b) send any offensive, inflammatory, defamatory, fraudulent or otherwise unlawful information or information that infringes third party rights;
(c) adversely affect the reputation or public image of Medibank; or
(d) cause annoyance or inconvenience to Medibank or any third party.
Communications via email and telephone
During your Live Chat with a Medibank consultant, you may provide Medibank with your:
(a) email address if you would like Medibank to email you a transcript of your Live Chat; and/or
(b) telephone number if you would like a Medibank consultant to contact you following the Live Chat to resolve any outstanding issues you may have or for follow up purposes.
In providing Medibank your email address and/or telephone number, you consent to Medibank using your email address and/or telephone number to contact you for the above purposes.
You may choose to access and use Medibank Live Chat on an anonymous basis and/or nominate an alias for use by the Medibank consultant during your Live Chat.
Medibank will allow you to access and correct Information it holds about you as required by law. If you have any queries about how Medibank handles your Information, please write to: Privacy Officer, Medibank Private Limited, 16/700 Collins Street, Docklands, Victoria 3008 or email@example.com.
Intellectual property rights
Medibank Live Chat is provided to you on "as is" and "as available" basis and may, from time to time, contain errors, faults and inaccuracies. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), Medibank makes no representation and provides no express or implied warranty or guarantee about the security of Medibank Live Chat, the safety of any file or software associated with it (such as safety from any virus or defects including those that could damage or interfere with any data, software or hardware with which it might be used) or that access to Medibank Live Chat will be uninterrupted or fault free. Medibank does not provide telecommunications services and does not warrant that you will have continuous access to Medibank Live Chat or that it will be supplied fault free. Medibank will not be liable in the event that Medibank Live Chat is unavailable to you for any reason including due to computer downtime attributable to malfunctions, upgrades, preventative or remedial maintenance activities or interruption in telecommunications supply. Medibank reserves the right to suspend or terminate the availability of Medibank Live Chat at any time.
Any response provided by a Medibank consultant through Medibank Live Chat is general and provided for information purposes only. Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), Medibank does not give any express or implied warranties and makes no representations in relation to the responses provided by a Medibank consultant through Medibank Live Chat. While reasonable care has been taken in its preparation, Medibank does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, quality, completeness, reliability or currency of the responses provided by a Medibank consultant through Medibank Live Chat or of any Medibank websites, materials, information, products or services promoted through Medibank Live Chat, or their usefulness in achieving any purpose. Nothing on Medibank Live Chat should be construed as the giving of advice or the making of any recommendations. You should make and rely on your own assessment and enquiries to verify the accuracy of the information provided through Medibank Live Chat.
You agree to access and use Medibank Live Chat entirely at your own risk including in relation to all information that you choose to transmit through Medibank Live Chat.
Limitation of liability
Subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), Medibank and its officers, employees and agents accept no liability for any loss, damage, illness or injury (including any loss of profits or income, business interruption or loss or corruption of data or other information):
(a) arising from:
your access to or use of Medibank Live Chat;
the information on Medibank Live Chat being incorrect, incomplete or misleading;
any action or indecision by you in reliance of the information contained in Medibank Live Chat; and
any delay or interruption in access to or use of Medibank Live Chat; and
(b) for any personal injury, including death, caused by access to, use or misuse of Medibank Live Chat including its content and services.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Medibank and its officers, directors, employees and agents from and against all claims, actions, loss, damages, liabilities and costs related to or arising directly or indirectly from the following:
(b) subject to the consumer guarantees provided for in consumer protection legislation (including the Australian Consumer Law), your use of Medibank Live Chat.
If you would rather not have this information stored on your computer, you can configure your browser so it does not accept cookies. However, if you disable cookies you will not be able to access Medibank Live Chat.
Other terms and conditions
Need special assistance?
Below are some of the resources available to you if you need a little extra help accessing our services or any other information you need.
- Language services - if you have difficulty understanding english, a government translating service is available at tisnational.gov.au
- Hearing or speech impaired – The National Relay Service provides a phone solution for people who have a hearing or speech impediment. You can find them at relayservice.gov.au
- Vision impaired – Vision Australia provide a range of services for people with impaired vision. You can find them at visionaustralia.org