MILLIONS MORE PAID IN BENEFITS FOR MEDIBANK CUSTOMERS
Medibank customers claimed an additional $150 million in extras benefits last financial year compared to five years ago.
The latest Medibank data, released today, shows Medibank paid $1.1 billion for our customers’ extras claims last financial year, meaning customers are getting more out of their extras cover than five years ago.
The most common claims were for dental, optical, chiropractic and physiotherapy.
Last financial year (FY16), for Medibank customers’ extras healthcare, we paid:
· $539.3 million for dental treatment (including major dental, minor dental and orthodontic). This covered 9.3 million dental services, 592,000 more services than five years ago (FY12). Dental benefits paid have increased by 16.9 per cent in the same period.
· $212.2 million for optical services and devices. The optical benefits paid have increased by 13 per cent in the last five years.
· $80.1 million for physiotherapy. The physio benefits paid have increased by 29.6 per cent in the last five years.
· $63.9 million for chiropractic treatment. The chiro benefits paid have increased by 27.8 per cent in last five years.
Dental services made up 44 per cent of the claims Medibank customers made, an important health benefit given the known link between good dental health and overall wellbeing.
Medibank Chief Medical Officer Dr Linda Swan said extras cover can help Australians improve their general health.
“We know how important dental health is to overall wellbeing, and it’s reassuring to see more Australians accessing this benefit to help improve their health,” Dr Swan said.
“Physiotherapists also offer important healthcare for many people with back, neck, muscle or joint issues, and the increased use of these services means many more Australians are benefitting from access to these services.
“Podiatry is also increasingly in demand, which could mean people are learning more about how caring for their feet can help reduce other health issues.
“Medibank and ahm paid benefits towards 26 million extras claims last financial year – that’s an average of 10 extras services for each of our 2.7 million customers who have extras cover, proving the value of having this type of cover,” Dr Swan said.
Medibank and ahm paid a total of $5.1 billion for our customers’ extras and hospital healthcare last financial year, including 500,000 surgeries and more than 1.3 million hospital admissions.
The best value from Members’ Choice
The latest Medibank data has also revealed customers can get better value from our Members’ Choice providers.
Our Members' Choice network is one of the largest health provider networks in Australia. We've negotiated with more than 14,000 healthcare providers so customers won't be charged more than the agreed price, which means members may save money by visiting a Members' Choice extras provider or hospital.
A Members' Choice extras provider must agree to and meet Medibank's customer service standards in addition to meeting any registration standards for practising that profession. We want to ensure our customers are offered high quality service.
Medibank customers can get more back visiting a Members’ Choice:
· Physiotherapist – $39.30 benefit per service on average at a Members’ Choice physio, compared to $32.00 at a non-Members Choice provider.
· Dentist – $62.40 benefit per service on average at a Members’ Choice dentist, compared to $54.20 at a non-Members Choice provider.
· Chiropractor – $34.40 benefit per service on average at a Members’ Choice chiro, compared to $30.70 at a non-Members Choice provider.
· Podiatrist – $53.50 benefit per service on average at a Members’ Choice podiatrist, compared to $47.30 at a non-Members Choice provider.
 All data is Medibank-only data and does not include ahm data, unless otherwise stated.
Media enquiries: Bronwyn Perry - 0438 545 090 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top