As we head into summer many of us are already marking down dates in our calendar for the upcoming festival season. The promise of warmer weather, great tunes and good times with friends is a powerful motivator to part with hard earned cash. However, sometimes a lack of pre-planning and over-exuberance can derail good times at the most anticipated festival.
Here are some key tips for staying safe and healthy at summer festivals:
1. Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water before and during the event. High temperatures, extended periods of dancing and consumption of alcohol can cause dehydration and result in an early end to your plans.
2. Be sunsmart. Slip, slop, slap, seek and slide. This is a must for all outdoor events this summer so make sure you are prepared for a big day out – be smart and be SunSmart! Ending up with heat exhaustion or sunstroke is serious and is a sure fire way to end your day early.
3. Don’t forget your medication. If you normally require any medication, make sure you take these with you on the day.
4. Be careful of slips and trips. Take care as you make your way into the grounds and during the day, especially when rushing between stages to catch your favourite acts.
5. Wear comfortable shoes. Uncomfortable shoes that cause blisters are going to cause you pain, limit your ability to get around and likely send you hobbling to a First Aid post. Similarly, shoes that aren’t suited to the event (like high heels) can end in ankle injuries. Knowing that you’ll want to see and do as much as possible at the event means you should wear the most appropriate footwear.
6. Look out for your mates. Take care of your friends and they’ll take care of you. If one of you isn’t feeling the best then ask the First Aid provider at the event for help; that’s what they’re there for.