3 pears, peeled, cored and grated
230g of caster sugar
350g of sultanas (optional)
Juice and zest from 1 lime
Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
340g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
Canola oil for frying
1. Place the pear, sugar, sultanas (optional), eggs, passionfruit juice, lemon juice, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Mix well with a wooden spoon until well combined.
2. Add the flour and water alternately to the pear mixture until a wet firm batter, rather than soft, is formed. Fill a medium sized saucepan with enough oil to cover the donuts – approximately 6 cm deep – and heat.
3. Once hot, test the oil to ensure it is hot by gently dropping in a spoonful of the dough. If the dough sizzles, then the oil is ready.
4. Scoop dessertspoons of the dough and gently drop them in the oil. Turn the doughnuts with a slotted spoon when golden brown. This takes approximately 5-6 minutes.
5. Remove with the slotted spoon once cooked, drain on paper towel and set aside to cool.
Isabella and Sofia’s book, A little bit of this, A little bit of that, is available from Penguin.