A favourite family meal of my friend Helen Karikas, created by her mother Vasiliki Patsakos. Vasiliki is married to a fisherman Yiannis who regularly brings home fresh mussels and calamari.
What to do
1. Add enough water to cover mussels in a saucepan, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, then set aside in water until cool. Drain, reserving 600 ml stock. Remove mussels from shells, discarding shells.
2. Heat olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and sautè spring onion until translucent.
3. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until rice starts to become translucent. Add prawns and move around until cooked through. Stir through parsley and cook for 1 minute. Add mussels and stir through.
4. Add reserved stock and 2 cups (500 ml) water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, or until rice is cooked. Add more water during cooking if necessary.
5. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
Recipe from The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook by Dr Catherine Itsiopoulos, available now from Pan Macmillan Australia