Thank you for applying to the Medibank Better Health Foundation for funding to support your research project.
The Foundation is undertaking a strategic review of its research priorities and funding and will not be funding any new research projects until the next financial year. Expressions of interest will be reconsidered from July 2019.
We wish you all the best in your research.
Our ApproachOn this page you will find information about our approach to supporting projects, including details of the application process and important criteria we consider when we assess applications for support.
Medibank Better Health Foundation supports:
- We support projects with an area of focus addressing musculoskeletal conditions with a particular emphasis on osteoarthritis.
- We want to ensure the research we support is aligned with the Triple Aim of Health i.e. improve the costs, outcome and experience of health care.
- We expect the vast majority of projects we fund to be delivered within two to three years.
- We understand that applying for support can be time-consuming, so we want to streamline the application process as much as possible.
- The Foundation is particularly interested in research that translates evidence into the practical delivery of better healthcare through improved health policy, health practice and health behaviours.
Medibank Better Health Foundation does not support:We know that many organisations and individuals are looking for funding to deliver a wide range of valuable and worthwhile work, however there are a number of areas which are not eligible for funding from Medibank Better Health Foundation. These include:
- Work that does not fall within the area of focus of the Medibank Better Health Foundation.
- Projects delivered outside of Australia.
- Long-term projects and initiatives - we expect the vast majority of projects we funded by the Foundation to be delivered within two to three years.
- Work which might reasonably be eligible for funding from statutory bodies.
- General awareness and information campaigns.
- Sponsorship of or attendance at meetings, events and conferences.
- Fundraising appeals, including requests for contributions to capital or equipment costs.
- Unrestricted funding for charities or other organisations.
- Educational bursaries or grants for university or postgraduate education; school trips or projects; gap year or elective year projects.
The application process
Stage 1: Expression of InterestIf you think your project is eligible for funding within a current funding program, you are welcome to submit an Expression of Interest Form. This must be submitted in the online format requested to be reviewed monthly. We aim to review all Expressions of Interest and respond to you within 6 weeks. If your application is not progressed we will clearly explain why, but we will not provide detailed feedback on specific applications.
Stage 2: Detailed ApplicationIf your project is to be considered for funding we will invite you to make a more detailed application, for which we will require more information on your plans, the people who will be delivering the project and your organisation. Additional information will be reviewed quarterly (March, July, September, and December).
Funding decisionsDecisions on which projects to fund are made by the Medibank Better Health Foundation Governance Committee.
Details of grants awarded are posted on the Medibank Better Health Foundation website as these become available.
Eligibility checkerIf you decide you want to submit an application, please read the below statements carefully to check your eligibility:
You should be able to answer 'yes' to the following statements:
- Does your project meet our current funding focus?
- Is your project likely to create an impact to the delivery of healthcare - through a change in consumer behaviour, health policy or health practice?
- Is your project aligned with the triple aim of health i.e. improve the costs, outcome and experience of health care?
- Will your project be delivered within Australia?
- Will your project be delivered within 2-3 years?
You should be able to answer 'no' to the following statements:
- Could your project or organisation reasonably be eligible for funding from statutory bodies?
- Are you applying for funding for sponsorship of or attendance at meetings, event and conferences?
- Does your application relate to a fundraising appeal, or a request for contributions to capital or equipment costs?
- Are you applying for funding for educational bursaries or grants for university or postgraduate education; school trips or projects; gap year or elective year projects?