Olive oil, for frying
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
4 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup corn kernels, cooked
100 g feta, crumbled
½ fennel bulb, diced
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 small handful of dill, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
1 small handful of coriander leaves
Squeeze of lemon juice
Coffee and maple bacon
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
6 thick slices of middle bacon, rind removed
1. To make the fritter batter, mix the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl with sea salt and flour until combined and smooth. Fold in the corn, feta, fennel, spring onion, dill, lemon zest and juice and pepper.
2. To make the smashed avocado, spoon the avocado flesh onto a small plate. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, the coriander and lemon juice and mash roughly with fork. Set aside for later.
3. Turn your oven grill to maximum temperature.
4. To make the coffee and maple bacon combine the instant coffee with the boiling water and leave for a few minutes to allow the coffee to dissolve, then add the maple syrup. Place the bacon on a foil covered baking tray and brush each side with the coffee and maple glaze. Grill the bacon on both sides until crispy.
5. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat and spoon in four equal portions of the fritter batter. Shape into small rounds with the back of a spoon and cook for 3 minutes until golden brown on the underside. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
6. Serve 2-3 corn fritters per person with a large spoonful of the smashed avocado on top and a side of the coffee maple bacon.
Recipe from Home Cook, Aspiring Chef by Will and Steve, published by HarperCollins, RRP $39.99.