Growing your own fruit and veg is an exciting process, and it all starts with a well prepared garden bed.
Once you have chosen where you will be building your no-dig bed, the first step is to build the garden walls. This can be done with sleepers, old bricks, rocks, hay bales or anything that will give you a height of 20–30 cm.
Who’s doing the shopping?
Send the shopping list straight to their inbox.
What to do
1. Cover the area with newspaper, at least 0.5 cm thick. Soak the newspaper with water.
2. Add a layer of pea straw/lucerne/hay, leaving no gaps, 10 cm deep.
3. Top with a 2 cm layer of good organic fertiliser. Chook manure is good for this layer as it is quite strong.
4. Add a thick layer (20 cm) of loose straw.
5. Add another 2 cm layer of fertiliser (organic cow manure works well).
6. Add a 10 cm top layer of compost
7. Water the bed until it’s wet but not soaking. Seedlings can now be planted – your new bed is ready to go!