Create your own worm farm
Build your very own worm farm with recycled materials.
What to do
2. Place the box on bricks, preferably slightly tipped so the drainage pipe end is lower than the other end.
3. Place the small tub under the drainage pipe.
4. Fill the box to about three-quarter full with a mix of dampened and shredded newspaper or cardboard, mixed with soil.
5. Add a handful of grit.
6. Bury some food waste in the bedding.
7. Add the worms.
8. Cover the whole worm farm with a thick layer of wet newspaper or a piece of old carpet or hessian.
9. Check the worm farm regularly as you will need to gradually add more bedding to keep it topped up – they eat this too!
- Fruit and vegetables (which need to be chopped up)
- Shredded newspaper
- Tea bags
- Coffee grounds
- Shredded cardboard (wet)
- Egg shells
- Onions, leeks, chives or garlic
- Citrus fruit
- Grains, bread, oats etc.
- Any food with oil on it (i.e. dressed salad)
Things to remember:
- Don’t overfeed your worms – only add more food when they have nearly finished the food they already have.
- Keep worms moist but not too wet.
- Place the worm farm in a shady, cool position – if it is too hot for you to sit on a sunny day in the spot you have given them, it will be too hot for the worms as well.
Tasty fritters with a zesty lime dressingRead more