Who’s doing the shopping?
Send the shopping list straight to their inbox.
What to do
1. Mark out a 1 m square on a bare surface.
2. Lay out the 4 × 1.2 m poles to make the square, with 0.2 m extending over at the corners, and lash them together with cable ties or twine where they cross.
3. Take the thinner 1.2–1.8 m bamboo canes and lash them across the square, like struts. This is the top piece.
4. Mark out a 1 m square on the prepared garden bed.
5. Take the four thickest bamboo poles and push them into the ground at the corners of the square.
6. Have two adults lower the top piece over the four upright bamboo poles, then lash the structure together at the corners.
7. Tie some horizontal wool lines around three sides of the structure for decoration and support. Leave the fourth side open.
8. Plant the area with your chosen Asian-inspired plants.
9. Water them in.