Quinoa is a small, typically light-colored grain. As well as the light colored variety, it is also available in red, purple and black.
Quinoa is a good source of protein, fibre, magnesium and iron. It is cooked with a 2:1 water to quinoa ratio and can be prepared in your rice cooker. As well as being highly nutritious, quinoa has a low glyceamic index and is a gluten-free grain. Combined with a slightly nutty flavour and simplicity to prepare, it can be used in salads, stir-frys, soups or in place of rice.
Quinoa is also a great option to replace white grains in your diet such as white rice. Some other suggestions for how to include quinoa into your winter diet are:
- mixed through stews and casseroles
- tossed in salads or roast vegetables
- cooked in hearty winter soups
- as a substitute for mashed potato or white rice
- For more information visit daa.asn.au