Top training runs in Melbourne
With lush parks, mountains and coastline, the Melbourne area offers some great training runs.
Let’s hear from Olympian distance runner Georgie Clarke on where she likes to hit her stride.
- Jan Juc - Point Addis - along the cliff top trail of the Great Ocean Road
- You Yangs – offers both hilly and flat terrain on your way to Geelong
- Lysterfield Park – in Melbourne’s south-east, popular with mountain bikers
- The Tan – South Yarra running track circling the Royal Botanical Gardens
- Yarra Bend – scenic run through Studley Park boat shed
- Yarra Flats – natural wetlands and bushlands in Ivanhoe/Eaglemont area
- Ferny Creek – Dandenongs – picturesque running surrounded by nature
- Princess Park - great for a flat, fast run
- Beach Road – up towards Sandringham/Black Rock. There is a little trail that’s nice to run along (dirt path starts at South Rd)
Where else do our well-known Australian runners like to pound the pavement?
Steve Moneghetti, Australian long-distance runner
- Albert Park Lake, Albert Park
- Yarra River, Collingwood
- Fawkner Park, South Yarra
Liam Adams, elite runner, two-time City2Surf Sydney winner
I absolutely love going up to Falls Creek and doing training camps there. It is quite picturesque and it’s great training with so many different athletes from around Australia.
Alicia Loxley, Nine newsreader and ambassador for Medibank Melbourne Marathon Festival
I love running around Studley Park in Abbotsford, there’s a 7km loop I follow that’s nice and hilly, so it’s quite challenging.
Jess Trengove, 2012 London Olympic marathoner
Some of the trails at Falls Creek in Victoria would have to feature in my list of favourite runs.
Australian trail runner Matt Cooper's favourite Victorian run
The Razorback ridge run which traverses between Mt Hotham and Mt Feathertop in the Victorian Alps
The former Olympian is staying active as ever.Read more