1⁄3 cup buckwheat flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 banana, mashed
2 pastured eggs
¼ cup natural yoghurt
¼ cup water or milk of choice
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
coconut oil, for pan-frying
1. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
3. Combine the wet with the dry mix, and whisk until well combined. Set the mixture aside for about 5 minutes.
4. Heat enough oil to coat the base of a fry pan over low–medium heat. The oil should not be smoking hot - just hot enough so that the batter sizzles gently when added to the pan.
5. Spoon 2–3 tablespoons of batter into the pan and spread it with the back of a spoon into a round pancake shape.
6. Fry the pancake for about 2 minutes each side on low–medium heat, or until cooked through.
7. Add more coconut oil between cooking each pancake, as needed.
Serve with nut butter/tahini and honey/maple syrup, nutella butter, or yoghurt with poached or caramelised fruit.
To make more pancakes, add an extra egg, and double the other ingredients. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat to enjoy over the next few days for a quick breakfast.
Replace the yoghurt with nut milk and a teaspoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
Skip the banana, and you will have savoury pancakes! You can make smaller cakes, like pikelets, and serve with avocado and nuts or feta.