Pearl barely risotto packed with spinach and pumpkin.
1 tsp olive oil
½ red onion, finely chopped
½ tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
½ cup of pearl barley, rinsed
1 cup vegetable stock
¼ cup frozen peas
100g grated pumpkin
150g baby spinach leaves
2 tbs chopped flat, leaf parsley
2 tsp sunflower seeds
1 tbs grated parmesan
1. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over low-medium heat.
2. Add onion, garlic and herbs and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until onion has softened.
3. Add barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until well coated in mixture.
4. Add stock to the pan and bring to a simmer.
5. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is almost completely absorbed.
6. Add peas and pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Stir through spinach and cook for a further 3 minutes.
8. Add parsley, sunflower seeds and parmesan.
9. Season to taste and serve.
Recipes supplied by Weigh It Up