Healthy vegetarian alternative to the classic sausage roll.
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp dried mint
1 bunch silverbeet, washed, stems removed and both leaves & stem chopped
2 eggs beaten
200g ricotta cheese, crumbled
50g goat’s feta, crumbled
1/2 tsp nutmeg
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed
2 tbs pumpkin seeds
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1 tbs lemon
salt & pepper to taste
8 sheets filo pastry
1 oil spray
1 tsp poppy seeds
¼ tsp paprika
1 tsp sesame seeds
1.Preheat oven to 180 C
2. Heat a non stick fry pan over medium heat, spray with oil and add onion and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add garlic and mint and cook a few minutes more, add silverbeet stems and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add leaves and cook until wilted.
5. Remove from heat and combine with beaten eggs in a large bowl.
6. Add cheeses, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds and parsley, nutmeg and lemon juice season with salt & pepper and mix well.
7. Lay 2 sheets of filo on a flat surface and place ¼ of the mixture at one end of the pastry.
8. Roll up, tucking sides in and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, seam side down.
9. Repeat 3 times to make four rolls.
10. Spray with oil and sprinkle two rolls with poppy seeds & paprika and the other row with sesame seeds.
11. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
Recipes supplied by Weigh It Up