Hot or cold, these vegan pasties by Suzy Spoon make a deliciously healthy treat.
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
1 white onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
400 g (2 large) purple sweet potatoes, cut into 1 cm cubes
125 ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
140 g (1 cup) peas (fresh or frozen)
1⁄2 head broccoli, chopped
Chunky tomato relish, to serve
125 ml (1⁄2 cup) soy milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
270 g (11⁄2 cups) wholemeal flour
150 g (1 cup) self-raising flour
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. To make the pastry, pour the soy milk and vinegar into a small bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes, or until bubbles form on the surface. Sift the flours into a large bowl and add the salt and poppy seeds. Use a wooden spoon to make a well in the centre of the flour. Pour in the bubbly soy milk, oil and 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) of water. Begin stirring in little circles, gradually incorporating the flour. Keep mixing until you’ve made a rough dough.
2. Sprinkle a clean, smooth surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface and knead for 3–5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add a drop more water if the dough feels a bit dry, or a sprinkling of flour if it’s too moist. Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover and rest it in a warm spot for 1 hour.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion for 3–5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, sweet potato and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the peas and broccoli, cover and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft. Use a fork to roughly mash all the ingredients together in the pan. Remove pan from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
5. Knead the dough again for about 2 minutes on a clean bench and divide into 8 equal pieces. Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece into a circle about 2 mm thick and 15 cm in diameter.
6. Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the centre of each pastry round. Draw up both sides of the pastry to meet in the centre, pinching the edges to seal. Place the pasties on the baking tray and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with the tomato relish.
Recipe from Suzy Spoon’s Vegetarian Kitchen, available now from Pan Macmillan.