17 ways to help someone on their health journey
Looking beyond your own wellbeing and lending a hand to others can make for more gratifying - and healthier - outcomes for all.
When it comes to good health and wellbeing, the onus is generally on the individual to keep on track. While some find this something they’re absolutely up for, others need a little guidance to stay motivated and maintain focus.
Taking it upon yourself to help a friend or family member on their good health journey can be an encouraging way to inspire their lifestyle change and ensure you’re keeping up your own. As the old adage goes, giving always is better than receiving and the dual benefits of shaping someone’s good fitness habits while improving yours is an easy win.
Here are some ways you can lend a hand.
1. Invite a friend to go for a walk. We’re far more likely to stick to an exercise plan if we know we’ve got someone waiting for us and this doubles as a good opportunity to catch up.
2. Drop around some extra fresh fruit and vegetables. Share the love to help inspire some tasty, homemade meals.
3. Buy them some herb pots as a present. These are the gift that keep on giving and are a little visual reminder of healthier food choices, as well as being a delicious addition to any dish.
4. Lead by example. Whether it’s eating or exercising, make healthy choices in the presence of friends and family.
5. Encourage small steps. Get off the train with your friend one stop earlier and walk to work together.
6. Offer to look after a neighbour’s children. Help them out so they can get to the gym or spend a quiet afternoon to themselves.
7. Invite a friend around for a healthy meal. Eating in can be a relaxing, low-key way to enjoy homemade food and spend some time talking.
8. Talk about their health goals. Ask your friend or family member what they want to achieve and how you can support them.
9. Invite a friend along to your gym class. Introduce them to a new sport, class or fitness club.
10. Share a delicious healthy recipe. Encourage a friend or family member to give a new recipe a go.
12. Help your elderly relative or friend with their groceries. Make it easier for them to purchase fresh fruit and vegetables.
13. Invite a friend to a play or an exhibition. Spend some quality, enriching time together.
14. Recommend Smiling Mind to someone. Get them started on the path to learning more about the importance of being mindful.
15. Attend a sporting event with someone. You can both let your emotions out and be inspired to start your own fitness activity.
16. Schedule a regular call with your parents or children. Make the time to keep up ongoing communication.
17. Suggest people sign up to be. magazine’s newsletter. Direct them to bemagazine.com.au!