10 New (Half) Year's Resolutions to Make
Who says you can only make New Year’s resolutions in January? As the first half of the year comes to a close, take the chance to refocus on your goals for a clean start.
We love fresh starts. A new year gives you the feeling of possibility. It’s a chance to think about what you really want, and to set goals that will lead you towards a happier and more fulfilling life.
But before you know it, six months have gone by since January 1st, and you start to run out of inspiration. That’s why we think the new half-year is an excellent time to reflect, recharge, and refocus on your goals.
We asked health blogger Jessica Sepel for her top ideas for health, fitness and wellbeing resolutions to make this new half-year.
1. Take everything one step at a time. You don’t need to do everything at once! Remember that the journey to better health is not something achieved overnight, but if you begin your journey in winter you’ll already feel revitalised by the time summer comes around.
2. Try one new exercise. Choose one exercise you want to try and commit to doing it once a week. Gradually increase your exercise to two or three times a week, and build up the habit slowly. Remember that the exercises do not have to be strenuous and can be as simple as walking around the park.
3. Be kind to yourself as you try new things. You may not be the best in your first pilates class (or your second), but it’s important to remember that every small step you make is helping you lead a happier and healthier life.
4. Add more greens to your diet. You can do this by experimenting with different produce and trying to eat in season – it’s cheaper and nature gives us what we need at different times of the year. Some winter season greens include avocado, spinach, peas and broccoli.
5. Look for cost-effective ways to be healthy. Be efficient with the cost of looking after your health where you can. Look around for different gyms, and see what extra value your health insurance could offer you. The GymBetter app, for example, gives Medibank members access a wide network of gyms with cheap casual rates, so it can fit in with your lifestyle and budget.
6. Avoid alcohol and other stimulants. They can cause you to make unhealthy choices without even realising. Even though it is tempting to hibernate with a bottle of red wine at night, try switching it for herbal hot tea instead. Your body will thank you for this one! As with everything, cut down slowly – health is a journey and a lifestyle, not a fad.
7. Get inspired on Instagram. There are so many great recipes and motivational images to inspire you to take the next step towards better health. Try searching hashtags like #Fitspo #healthyeating to keep you motivated. (Hint: this Instagram feed is pretty amazing...)
8. Get your family and friends involved. Share the new recipes or exercises you’re trying with the people you love. This will make the journey to better health more fun and keep you all accountable to stick to your plans.
9. Experiment with different cooking techniques. If you’re making an effort to eat more veggies, try roasting or steaming them as opposed to frying. It’s quick, easy and your body will thank you!
10. Believe in yourself. You are powerful and can live the life you have always wanted – no doubts! Only put out positive thoughts. Thinking that way takes practice, but what have you got to lose?
|Extra||Medibank private health insurance has been awarded for Outstanding Value by Canstar for seven consecutive years. With the End of Financial Year fast approaching, now is the perfect time to make sure you have hospital and extras cover, which also allows you to avoid paying the Medicare Levy Surcharge on top of your premiums. More details at medibank.com.au|
|React||Interesting Informative Useful|
|Tags||Lifestyle Wellbeing Food Exercise|