Pumpkin and Pea Risotto recipe
Nothing says comfort like a creamy risotto - and this one is as light as it is tasty.
1 cup of arborio rice
1 quarter pumpkin (I used a kent pumpkin, including skin)
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 small packet frozen peas
1/2 bottle of white wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 litre of gluten free vegetable stock (or herbal salt, dissolved into 1 litre of warm water)
fresh seasonal herbs (dill or parsley)
sea salt and cracked pepper
1. Chop pumpkin into squares and boil in a pot of water under tender.
2. In a large pot heat olive oil on medium temperature, add chopped shallots/onions and sauté until clear.
3. Add rice and stir through. Immediately add stock until rice is covered.
5. Control heat accordingly; the rice should cook but not boil. Continue to stir. Every time the liquid absorbs, add some more – never let it dry, or it will stick to the bottom of the pan!
6. Once all the stock has been absorbed start adding white wine, a cup at a time until absorbed. Make sure you watch your pumpkin! When it’s done, you can drain the cooking water into your risotto for extra nutrients. Keep the cooked pumpkin aside.
7. Keep stirring and adding water until the rice is al dente. At this point, add the cooked pumpkin and stir through.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Just before dishing up, stir through frozen peas – the heat of the risotto will defrost them and they will be fresh and crunchy.
10. Dish up and top with fresh herbs.