On-the-go breakfast ideas
Easy, delicious ways to kickstart your morning - even when you’re in a rush.
Having a nutritious breakfast is an excellent way to start the day, giving you the energy you need to embrace challenges, get things done and enjoy your life. But for many of us, our busy lifestyle means good intentions for filling up on a nourishing breakfast fall by the wayside – and instead we rely on our trusty old coffee (and maybe sometimes a sneaky muffin or croissant, while we’re at it!)
Michelle Reid, Accredited Practising Dietitian and Nutritionist at Sanitarium, shares some delicious and healthy ideas for people on the go.
1. Peanut butter and banana on wholegrain toast or crispbread. A good mix of protein, vitamins, healthy fats and wholegrains – the perfect energising blend to get you started on a productive day.
2. Low fat yoghurt sprinkled with natural muesli. Prepare a few portions and keep them in airtight containers in the fridge, so they’re there to grab and go when you need.
3. Fruit smoothie with low fat yoghurt and/or milk. Again, you can make this the night before and simply grab it out of the fridge when you’re ready to leave.
Got more time? Try some of these ideas…
• Baked beans on wholegrain toast.
• Toasted wholegrain English muffin topped with ricotta cheese and sliced tomato, or some chopped up fruit (a bit of apple with a dusting of cinnamon is nice).
• Weet-Bix or porridge topped with sliced banana and a little honey.