Moroccan roasted pumpkin and quinoa salad recipe
Bring some rich flavour to your salad mix with this Moroccan spiced delight from Thoroughly Nourished Life.
This Moroccan spiced salad is hearty, and suitable on its own as a lunchbox or dinner bowl filler. If you want to use it as a side dish it would pair quite nicely with some grilled salmon or chicken (or tofu for the veggie-minded of us).
I made this salad at the beginning of the week and it served me for desktop lunches for a few days. If you are going to keep this salad for a few days I recommend storing the dressing separately and dressing the salad only as you are about to eat it so that the salad doesn’t go soggy.
Variation: For a vegan option, replace the yoghurt in the dressing with soy yoghurt and honey with agave
Note: Leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Medium butternut pumpkin (about 1kg)
1/2 cup quinoa (I used red, but feel any other colour will do)
1 1/4 cups water/vegetable stock
1/2 cup split green olives
1/3 cup chopped chives
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
6 cups rocket leaves
2 tablespoons plain/natural or Greek yoghurt
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 200C (400F) and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Peel and chop butternut pumpkin into inch-square cubes. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until pumpkin is soft all the way through. Cool to room temperature.
3. Rinse quinoa thoroughly and place in a deep microwave safe bowl with water or vegetable stock. Cover loosely with plastic. Microwave for 3 minutes. Remove and stir and microwave for another 3 minutes. When the white spiral ‘tail’ starts to pull away from the quinoa seed it is done. If the quinoa isn’t cooked at this stage place back in microwave with another tablespoon of water for another 2 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
4. When pumpkin and quinoa are cooled place in a large bowl with olives, chives, pumpkin seeds and rocket leaves and toss well.
5. To make dressing: place all ingredients in a small airtight jar. Shake vigorously until combined.
6. Divide salad among bowls and dress as desired.
Discover more of Amy’s delicious recipes at thoroughlynourishedlife.com