Kale with chorizo sausage and eggs recipe
Breakfast or dinner, this dish makes a warming, flavoursome feast.
4–6 stalks of kale
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1–2 chorizo sausages (about 250 g total weight), sliced
4 shallots/spring onions/scallions finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
1 x 400 g can diced tomatoes
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
½ cup (125 ml) water
Crusty bread, to serve
1. Thoroughly wash the kale, remove and discard the thick lower part of the stalk and finely chop the leaves. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chorizo until golden all over, remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Discard any excess oil keeping only about a tablespoon or so.
4. Add the onions, garlic and chilli, if using, to the pan and sauté for 1–2 minutes, until golden.
5. Add the tomatoes and their juice and kale, season with salt and pepper and cook for 3–4 minutes until the kale starts to wilt.
6. Add the water, cover and cook for about 5–8 minutes, until the kale is tender.
7. Return the chorizo sausage to the pan and combine with the kale.
8. Make 4 wells in the mixture in the pan and gently crack an egg into each one.
9. Cook on gentle heat until the eggs are set to your liking. Check and adjust the seasoning and serve with crusty bread.
Recipe from Cooking with Kale by Rena Patten, available now from New Holland Publishers.