Coconut roasted pumpkin and apple soup recipe
A hearty, belly-warming soup to rejuvenate and nourish.
In winter it’s a good idea to incorporate more ‘grounding’ foods into your diet. Think root vegetables such as carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and parsnip – typically this is what our bodies crave.
1 kg pumpkin chopped into smallish pieces
2 apples, peeled and chopped roughly, quartered would be fine (my preference if for a sweeter style of apple)
1 litre of organic or home made additive free vegetable or chicken stock
1 brown onion, peeled and cut into quarters or 6ths
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Place pumpkin, apple, onion and (unpeeled) garlic into a bowl and drizzle with coconut oil, give it all a good shake or stir. Spread onto a baking tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and flip the vegetables and apples over. Remove the garlic if it is burning and/or cooked. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, ensuring the pumpkin is tender. Place in a large saucepan with the stock and salt and pepper, to taste. Add your (now peeled) garlic. Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer for ten minutes.
5. Finally, pour the soup into a blender and combine until smooth. Season to taste.
6. Serve with crusty bread, grated apple and a dollop of Greek yoghurt.