Char-grilled beef rib with yellow bean and ginger recipe
Louis Tikaram, head chef of Sydney’s acclaimed Longrain Restaurant and Bar shares one of his favourite recipes.
This dish was inspired by my time at Tetsuya’s restaurant; I cooked a course of Wagyu and fresh wasabi, I wanted to transform that sensation of the hot wasabi cutting through the richness of the beef. I chose a grass fed beef rib for its beautiful rich and full flavor, I braise the ribs before chargrilling them to get that melt in the mouth Wagyu texture and simulated the wasabi with lots of ginger and yellow beans.
This recipe serves 4 (as part of a shared meal)
For the Braised beef rib
2 litres chicken stock
150ml fish sauce
150ml oyster sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
2 sticks lemongrass (bruised)
1 handful kaffir lime leaf
1 knob galangal
2 red birds eye chilies
2 piece grass fed beef short ribs
• Bring all the ingredients to the boil and let simmer for 10 minutes to infuse the flavors.
• Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
• Place the short ribs into a baking dish and pour the aromatic broth over the top include the lemongrass and other ingredients to braise with the beef.
• Cover with greaseproof paper and foil then braise for 3 hours.
The rib bone should move freely from the piece of meat when it is ready.
• Remove from the liquid and cool on a wire rack, this step can be done a day before and refrigerated if necessary.
For the ginger and yellow bean
60g peeled ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 green scud chili
4 cleaned coriander roots
5 pieces whole white pepper corn
1 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons.white vinegar
60ml yellow bean paste
• Pound all the solid ingredients to a fine paste in a mortar and pestle.
• Add the yellow bean paste and seasonings. Mix well.
• Char-grill the ribs on a BBQ or wood fried grill or you could simply pan fry them in a heavy based fry pan or grill plate on the stove till they are caramelised with a good char on the outside this should take at least 5 minutes frequently turning.
• Serve each rib with a good heap of the ginger and yellow bean and a bowl of steamed rice.