9 health pledges to make in 2015
Turn over a new leaf and make a pledge for better health this year.
Now here’s a New Year’s resolution worth committing to: how does feeling more energised, vibrant, strong and healthy sound? With a fresh new year stretching out ahead of us, it’s the perfect time to turn over a healthy new leaf – and the Dietitians Association of Australia is encouraging Australians to take this to the next level by making a health ‘pledge’.
“Let’s face it, we can all make a pledge to be a little healthier,” says DAA spokesperson Professor Clare Collins. “Think about an area you can realistically work on and write down your goals. Then share your commitment to adopting healthier habits with friends, family, a health professional or co-workers – this can help to keep you on track.”
The ‘Make a Pledge’ campaign runs through January in the lead-up to Australia's Healthy Weight Week, held from 16 – 22 February. “Australia's Healthy Weight Week provides the tools to help ‘pledgers’ turn their commitment into results, with nutrition and healthy cooking tips, a seven day meal plan, a free downloadable cookbook, food and activity records and progress charts, a grocery shopping list template, plus much more,” Professor Collins says.
So what will your pledge be? The DAA suggests choosing one of the following:
1. Ditch the fad diets and see an Accredited Practising Dietitian for tailored nutrition advice.
2. Commit to ‘Try-it Tuesday’, with a new dinner recipe at home each week.
3. Think more positively about my body and the foods I choose to fuel it with.
4. Take the time to cook meals at home more often.
5. Pull my portion sizes into line.
6. Make exercise part of my routine.
7. Make sure my freezer is stocked with nutritious foods so I can prepare healthy dinners fast.
8. Stock my pantry so I have quick and easy breakfast options every day.
9. Plan my meals ahead of time and write a grocery list.
To ‘Make a Pledge’ for better health, visit healthyweightweek.com.au/make-a-pledge and go into the draw to win some great prizes.