Bring some Middle Eastern flavour into your kitchen with this delicious dish.
1 tablespoon tahini
½ garlic clove, crushed
½ lemon, juiced
Salt, to taste
1 pomegranate, seeded
2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced into match sticks
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cilantro/coriander, finely chopped
11/2 tablespoons coriander seeds, toasted
11/2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted
6 tablespoons hazelnuts toasted
3 tablespoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra
14 oz/400 g lamb rack, cut into double-cutlets
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons pomegranate
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. To make the eggplant dip, char the skin of the eggplant on a gas stovetop. Allow to cool. Alternatively, you can char the skin off in the oven. Preheat the oven to the hottest setting. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Slice the eggplant in half and place the halves on the baking tray, skin side up. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the skin blackens. Once cool enough to handle, peel and place the flesh in a blender with tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt to taste, processing until smooth.
3. In a dry frying pan, toast the nuts and the spices over a low heat being careful not to burn them. Pound spices in a mortar and pestle until finely ground, then add nuts and coarsely grind. Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Sear lamb for 1–2 minutes until browned. Remove lamb from heat.
4. Mix honey and pomegranate molasses in a bowl and coat the lamb with the molasses mixture, then roll the lamb in dukkah (reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish). Place lamb in a roasting pan and cook in the oven for 10 minutes until cooked to medium. Set aside to rest.
5. To make the salad, combine pomegranate seeds (reserving 1 tablespoon for garnish), cucumber, mint and cilantro in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt.
6. Serve cutlets with dip and salad on the side. Sprinkle with reserved dukkah and pomegranate seeds.
Recipe from Eat With Love by Samira El Khafir, available now from New Holland Publishers.