Enjoy a healthy start to your day with bircher muesli and poached dried apricots
2 Gala apples, quartered and cored (not peeled)
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1 cup apple juice
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Using a box grater, coarsely grate the apples into a large bowl.
2. Mix in the oats, yogurt, apple juice and cinnamon.
3. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Note: The muesli will keep for up to three days, covered, and refrigerated.
Autumn topping: Poached dried apricots and pistachios
1 cup dried apricots, halved
½ cup water
⅓ cup honey
⅓ cup shelled pistachios, toasted and chopped
1. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the dried apricots, water and honey. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, or until the apricots are plump and very tender and the syrup has thickened slightly. Cool completely.
2. To serve, spoon the apricot mixture over the muesli and sprinkle with the pistachios.
Recipe from Good Food, Good Life by Curtis Stone (Ebury Australia, $39.95)