The Bourke Street Bakery shares a winning recipe for a soft, sweet loaf of bread.
85 g butter
170 g sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
185 g plain flour
1 g bicarbonate of soda
2 g baking powder
5 g cornflour
5 g ground cinnamon
2 g salt
305 g ripe bananas
130g apples, grated
(Makes 1 loaf)
1. Make this recipe using a bench top mixer.
2. Cream the butter and sugar on low speed, then slowly add the lightly beaten eggs.
3. Sieve the plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cornflour, cinnamon and salt into another bowl.
4. Fold the flour mixture by hand into the creamed butter, sugar and egg.
5. Mash the bananas and combine with the grated apple and then fold this through the mixture.
6. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200ÂºC.
7. Spoon the mixture into an oiled 18 x 10 x 6 cm bread tin. Reduce the oven temperature to 180ÂºC and bake for 35â€“40 minutes.
8. Test the loaf with a knife or skewer. If it comes out clean, the cake is baked.