Pack a nutritious lunch box to keep your mini athletes' energy levels high.
The perfect event snack box
A healthy wrap (for example on top of mountain bread, spread some avocado and layer on some turkey or shredded chicken, grated cheese and grated carrot)
- Muesli slice
- Banana bread
- Trail mix
- Wholegrain crackers
- Cheese sticks
- Yogurt/creamed rice
- A honey or peanut butter sandwich
- A tetra pack of flavoured milk (longlife)
- Water and cordial
Remember to keep any meat products cold, and on warm days, taking frozen drinks and yoghurts not only helps chill the lunchbox, it provides a refreshing snack to help cool down hot and bothered kids.
1. Muesli Slice
1 cup rolled oats
¼ cup sunflower kernels
¼ cup plain flour
1 cup dried apricots, diced
1 cup sultanas
¼ cup slivered almonds
1 cup craisins (optional)
1/ 4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
60g butter or margarine
¼ cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup milk
1. In a large bowl mix together the oats, sunflower kernels, flour, apricots, sultanas, almonds. Add craisins and sesame seeds if you are adding these as well.
2. Melt the butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar and add to dry ingredients. Stir in the egg and milk until well combined.
3. Press into a greased and lined lamington tin and bake for 15 minutes at 180°C.
4. Cut into slice when cooled. Enjoy!
2. Easy Banana Bread
1 ¼ cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon margarine
½ cup brown sugar
1 large banana
1 egg lightly beaten
¼ cup low fat milk
1. Add flour and cinnamon, and rub in margarine.
2. Stir in sugar, egg, milk and banana, but don’t over-mix!
3. Bake at 220°C (fan forced) for 2 minutes.
3. Trail Mix
2 cups nuts (almonds/pistachio/brazil/cashew/macadamia nuts)
½ cup pumpkin and sunflower seeds
½ cup handful goji berries or cranberries
½ cup coconut flakes (even yummier toasted)
1. Mix all ingredients together, and enjoy!
Learn more about food for active kids and visit ausport.gov.au
Get the kids active this beach season with Medibank Wave Warriors, a series of fun, social surf lifesaving challenges.