Do I need hospital cover?
If you ever need to go to hospital and you want greater control over who treats you, where you are treated and how soon, then yes, hospital cover is for you. It helps you manage the cost of your hospital stay, including accommodation and treatment costs. It could also help reduce your tax.
Without private health insurance, common
procedures in a private hospital could cost
you thousands of dollars:
- $7,090 for childbirth**
- $39,200 for heart bypass surgery**
- $25,300 for hip replacement surgery**
- $19,900 for knee replacement surgery.**
If you want cover for other health services that Medicare generally doesn't pay for, like dental, prescription glasses and contact lenses, physio, osteo and chiro, then yes extras cover is for you. Our flexible range provides great
value whatever level of cover
Plus if you visit a
Members' Choice extras provider,
you'll have certainty knowing you
get a percentage back of:
- or 100% back of the charge, the choice is yours.
**These figures are an average of Medibank's claims information for
20010/11. They include hospital, in-hospital medical and prostheses charges
only. Costs may vary depending on the hospital or provider you receive
treatment from and from state to state.
- * Young Hospital must be purchased with Basic or Top Extras cover.
- ** Basic Extras 55 must be purchased with Young, Basic, Mid or Top Hospital cover.