Board of Directors
Elizabeth Alexander AM
BCom, MCom, FAICD, FCA, FCPA
- Appointed non-executive Director: October 2008. Appointed Chairman: March 2013
- Chairman of the Nomination Committee
- As a former partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers, Elizabeth specialised in the area of risk management and corporate governance.
- Elizabeth is currently chairman of DEXUS Wholesale Property Limited and a director of DEXUS Funds Management Limited as part of the Dexus Property Group, and director of the IOOF Foundation. She is Chancellor of the University of Melbourne and a member of the McKeon Review (the Strategic Review of Health and Medical Research).
- Elizabeth was previously chairman of CSL Limited (until 2011), director of Boral Limited and Amcor Limited. She is a former Chair of the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority’s Risk and Audit Committee. Elizabeth is also a former national president of CPA Australia and the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and a former member of the Takeovers Panel.
BE (Hons), MBA, FAICD
Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer
- Appointed director: September 2001. Appointed Managing Director: April 2002
- Trained as an industrial engineer, George has 25 years experience in the Australian healthcare industry. George is a member of the Business Council of Australia and represents Australia as the Vice President on the Council of the International Federation of Health Plans. He is a non-executive director of Ryman Healthcare, a company listed in New Zealand, and Chairman of World Vision Australia.
- George is a former managing director of Healthpoint Technologies and Smith & Nephew Australasia, Managing Director and Chief Executive of Sigma Pharmaceuticals, General Manager of CIG Healthcare Australia, and Chairman of Medicines Partnerships of Australia.
Appointed non-executive Director: December 2012
- Anna has extensive experience in leadership and public policy, including in the fields of healthcare, finance, infrastructure and project management. Anna is currently the Chief Executive Officer of YWCA NSW and a non-executive Director of Bangarra Dance Theatre.
- Anna has held several roles in the Queensland Government, including Premier, Treasurer, Minister for Finance, Minister for State Development, Minister for Trade and Innovation and Minister for Education. She was also a member of the Queensland Cabinet Budget Review Committee for 11 years.
LLB, LLM, GAICD
Appointed non-executive Director: March 2014
- David is a highly experienced banking and major projects lawyer with more than 35 years experience. He acted for major banks and corporate clients with Clayton Utz, and was Clayton Utz’s Chief Executive Partner from May 2001 to June 2010.
- David is a Director and Chair of the Audit Committee of The Global Foundation, a Director of Hilco Merchant Australia, Hilco Oz and UBS Grocon Real Estate Investment Management.
Dr Cherrell Hirst AO
FTSE, MBBS, BEdSt D. Univ (Hon), FAICD
Appointed non-executive Director: December 2009
- Cherrell has practised medicine for 30 years and is a highly experienced company director.
- Cherrell is the Chairman of Impedimed Limited, and director of Tissue Therapies Limited and Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service. In addition, she sits on the boards of two unlisted biotechnology companies (Hatchtech and Verva Pharmaceuticals) and on the advisory boards of two research entities.
- Cherrell is a former director of Telesso Technologies Limited (until October 2013), Suncorp Group Limited, Avant Mutual Group and Avant Insurance Limited. She was Chancellor of the Queensland University of Technology from 1994 to 2004.
BSc (Hons), FIAA, FAHRI, FAICD
Appointed non-executive Director: June 2013
- Chairman of the Investment and Capital Committee
- Peter worked for AMP for more than 20 years in a wide variety of business and functional roles, including Chief Actuary during its demutualisation, General Manager of Human Resources and Strategy, and as Global Director of Finance and Operations for Henderson Global Investors in the United Kingdom. Peter is currently a director of Colonial First State Investments Limited, Colonial Mutual Superannuation and Avanteos Investments, and a member of the compliance committee for CFS Managed Property.
Linda Bardo Nicholls AO
BA(Econ), MBA (Harvard), FAICD
Appointed non-executive Director: March 2014
- Chairman of the People & Remuneration Committee
- Linda has more than 30 years experience as a senior executive and director in banking, insurance and funds management in Australia, New Zealand and the United States. She is currently Chairman of Japara Healthcare Limited and a director of Pacific Brands Limited, Fairfax Media Limited and Sigma Pharmaceuticals Limited. Linda is also chairman of KDR Victoria Pty Limited (Yarra Trams).
- Linda was previously chairman of Healthscope Limited and of Australia Post, and was a director of St George Bank and Insurance Manufactures of Australia. Linda was also a member of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Biomedical Science.
Appointed non-executive Director: March 2014
- Christine has more than 30 years of financial and infrastructure experience both in Australia and internationally. Christine is currently director of CSL Limited, Transurban Group, EnergyAustralia and Baker IDI, and is Deputy Chair of Care Australia.
- Christine was formerly Co-head of Unlisted Infrastructure at Colonial First State Global Asset Management, and prior to that was Chief Executive and director of GasNet Australia Group.
Executive General Manager – People & Culture
- Kylie was appointed Executive General Manager, People & Culture in July 2013 and is responsible for leading the key people functions across Medibank. Kylie was responsible for overseeing the recent consolidation of premises in Melbourne. Kylie is leading the business in its activity-based work transformation program
- Kylie is a registered Psychologist and formerly held the position of General Manager of Culture, Capability and Communications at Medibank
- Prior to joining Medibank in 2010, Kylie held senior global positions with National Australia Bank and also led a number of human resources consulting practices.
Chief Customer Officer
- Laz was appointed Chief Customer Officer in March 2014 and was previously group executive of the Private Health Insurance Division since August 2011
- Laz is responsible for product, marketing, sales and service direct to consumers, corporate and Government customers
- Prior to joining Medibank, Laz held senior executive roles in financial services with well-known international and Australian companies, including Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer of UBS Wealth Management Australia as well as General Manager of Westpac Customer Service, and has extensive experience in driving business strategy and developing new business, as well as improving operational efficiency and customer service for large organisations
- Laz is also a Board member of Private Healthcare Australia.
Chief Operating Officer
- David was appointed Chief Operating Officer in March 2014 and is responsible for strategy, business development, mergers and acquisitions, IT and business operations
- Prior to joining Medibank, David was the Group Chief Commercial Officer at Jetstar where he was responsible for all revenue generation, business development and commercial operations for the Jetstar group of airlines, including as a Director of Jetstar Pacific (Vietnam), Jetstar Hong Kong and NewStar (Singapore) JV businesses
- David has a wealth of commercial and business experience, including previous work in strategy consulting and financial services, and was part of the core team that developed the business case for Jetstar and built it into a successful Pan-Asian business.
Chief Financial Officer
- Paul was appointed Chief Financial Officer in May 2012
- Paul has responsibility for the finance, legal and company secretariat divisions, as well as actuarial, treasury, investor relations, planning, risk management and assurance, property and corporate services functions across Medibank
- Paul has over 25 years experience in the finance industry including as General Manager of Corporate Finance for Pacific Brands, CFO for the Aluminium and Commercial divisions of BHP Billiton, and CFO of AXA Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Andrew Wilson
Executive General Manager - Provider Networks and Integrated Care
- Andrew was appointed Executive General Manager of PNIC in April 2013 and is responsible for managing claims expenses, provider contracting, claims auditing and improved model of care initiatives encompassing Medibank’s relationships with hospitals and medical professionals
- Andrew has 25 years experience in the public health system, and remains a practising psychiatrist and lecturer
- Andrew was a founder of High Performance Healthcare and Co-founder and Co-President of McKesson Asia-Pacific, which was acquired by Medibank in 2010.