Board of Directors
AM BCom, MCom, FAICD, FCA, FCPA
- Elizabeth was appointed as a Director in October 2008 and appointed as non-executive Chairman of the Board in March 2013
- As a former partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers (1977-2002), Elizabeth specialised in the area of risk management and corporate governance issues
- Elizabeth is currently non-executive Chairman of DEXUS Wholesale Property, and a non-executive Director of DEXUS Property Group and the IOOF Foundation, Chancellor of the University of Melbourne, and a member of McKeon Review of Health & Medical Research
- Elizabeth was previously Chairman of CSL and a Director of Boral and Amcor. She is a former Chair of the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority’s Risk and Audit Committee and a former Chair of the Portfolio Audit Committee of the Victoria Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. Elizabeth is also a former National President of CPA Australia and the Australian Institute of Company Directors, and a former member of the Takeovers Panel in Australia.
BE (Hons) (UNSW), MBA (UTS), FAICD
- George was appointed to the Board in September 2001 and appointed Managing Director of Medibank in April 2002
- Trained as an Industrial Engineer, George has 25 years experience in the Australian healthcare industry
- George is currently a Member of the Business Council of Australia, represents Australia as the Vice President on the Council of the International Federation of Health Plans, is Chairman of Arrow Leadership Australia, a non-executive Director of Ryman Healthcare NZ, and Chairman of World Vision Australia
- George is a former Managing Director of Healthpoint Technologies, Smith+Nephew Australasia, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Sigma, General Manager of CIG Healthcare Australia, and Chairman of Medicines Partnerships of Australia.
- Anna was appointed to the Board on December 2012 as a non-executive Director
- Anna has extensive experience in leadership, public policy including healthcare, finance, infrastructure and project management
- Anna is currently the Chief Executive Officer of YWCA NSW and non-executive Director of Bangarra Dance Company
- Anna has held several roles in the Queensland Government including Premier, Treasurer, Minister for Finance, Minister for State Development, Minister for Trade and Innovation, Minister for Education and has been a member of the Queensland Cabinet Budget Review Committee for 11 years.
- David was appointed to the Board in March 2014 as a non-executive Director and is Chairman of the Privatisation Committee
- David is a highly experienced banking and major projects lawyer with over 35 years experience, acting for major banks and corporate clients with Clayton Utz. David was Clayton Utz’s Chief Executive Partner from May 2001 to June 2010
- David is a Director and Chair of the Audit Committee of The Global Foundation, and a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, the Law Society of New South Wales, and the International Bar Association.
Dr Cherrell Hirst
AO FTSE, MBBS, BEdSt D, Univ (Hon) FAIM, FAICD
- Cherrell was appointed to the Board in December 2009 as a non-executive Director
- Cherrell practised medicine for 30 years and is a highly experienced company Director
- Cherrell is Chair of ImpediMed and non-executive Director of Gold Coast Health & Hospital Service and Tissue Therapies. In addition she sits on the boards of three unlisted biotechnology companies (Relevare, Hatchtech and Verva Pharmaceuticals) and on the Advisory Board of two research entities
- Cherrell was formerly a Director of Suncorp Group and The Avant Group, Chair of Peplin, and until very recently, the part-time CEO of QIC BioVentures. She was Chancellor of the Queensland University of Technology from 1994 to 2012.
B Sc (Joint Honours), FIAA, FAHRI, FAICD
- Peter was appointed to the Board in June 2013 as a non-executive Director and is Chairman of the Investment Committee
- Peter worked for over 20 years for AMP in a wide variety of business and functional roles including Chief Actuary during its demutualisation, General Manager of Human Resources and Strategy, and Global Director of Finance and Operations for Henderson Global Investors in the United Kingdom. Prior to that, Peter spent 10 years in the United Kingdom working for the UK Government Actuary and Hill Samuel
- Peter is currently a non-executive Director of Colonial First State Investments, Colonial Mutual Superannuation and Avanteos Investments and a member of the Compliance Committee for CFS Managed Property.
Linda Bardo Nicholls
AO BA (Econ), MBA (Harvard), FAICD
- Linda was appointed to the Board in March 2014 as a non-executive Director
- Linda has over 30 years financial and infrastructure experience both in Australia and internationally
- Linda is currently a Director of Pacific Brands, Fairfax Media, Sigma Pharmaceuticals, the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute for Medical Research and Chair of Japara Healthcare and KD Australia
- Linda was previously a Director of a number of companies including Healthscope (a former chair), St George Bank, Australia Post (a former chair) and Insurance Manufacturers of Australia.
- Christine was appointed to the Board in March 2014 as a non-executive Director
- Christine has extensive infrastructure and financial experience including in the reform and establishment of the regulatory framework for the Australian gas industry, eight years with Centaurus Corporate Advisory Services, and audit experience with PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Christine is currently a Director of CSL, Transurban, EnergyAustralia, Baker IDI and Deputy Chair of Care Australia
- Christine was formerly Co-head of Unlisted Infrastructure at Colonial First State Global Asset Management, and prior to that, CEO and a Director of GasNet Australia Group.
Executive General Manager – People & Culture
- Kylie was appointed Executive General Manager, People & Culture in July 2013 and is responsible for leading the key people functions across Medibank. Kylie was responsible for overseeing the recent consolidation of premises in Melbourne. Kylie is leading the business in its activity-based work transformation program
- Kylie is a registered Psychologist and formerly held the position of General Manager of Culture, Capability and Communications at Medibank
- Prior to joining Medibank in 2010, Kylie held senior global positions with National Australia Bank and also led a number of human resources consulting practices.
Chief Customer Officer
- Laz was appointed Chief Customer Officer in March 2014 and was previously group executive of the Private Health Insurance Division since August 2011
- Laz is responsible for product, marketing, sales and service direct to consumers, corporate and Government customers
- Prior to joining Medibank, Laz held senior executive roles in financial services with well-known international and Australian companies, including Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer of UBS Wealth Management Australia as well as General Manager of Westpac Customer Service, and has extensive experience in driving business strategy and developing new business, as well as improving operational efficiency and customer service for large organisations
- Laz is also a Board member of Private Healthcare Australia.
Chief Operating Officer
- David was appointed Chief Operating Officer in March 2014 and is responsible for strategy, business development, mergers and acquisitions, IT and business operations
- Prior to joining Medibank, David was the Group Chief Commercial Officer at Jetstar where he was responsible for all revenue generation, business development and commercial operations for the Jetstar group of airlines, including as a Director of Jetstar Pacific (Vietnam), Jetstar Hong Kong and NewStar (Singapore) JV businesses
- David has a wealth of commercial and business experience, including previous work in strategy consulting and financial services, and was part of the core team that developed the business case for Jetstar and built it into a successful Pan-Asian business.
Chief Financial Officer
- Paul was appointed Chief Financial Officer in May 2012
- Paul has responsibility for the finance, legal and company secretariat divisions, as well as actuarial, treasury, investor relations, planning, risk management and assurance, property and corporate services functions across Medibank
- Paul has over 25 years experience in the finance industry including as General Manager of Corporate Finance for Pacific Brands, CFO for the Aluminium and Commercial divisions of BHP Billiton, and CFO of AXA Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Andrew Wilson
Executive General Manager - Provider Networks and Integrated Care
- Andrew was appointed Executive General Manager of PNIC in April 2013 and is responsible for managing claims expenses, provider contracting, claims auditing and improved model of care initiatives encompassing Medibank’s relationships with hospitals and medical professionals
- Andrew has 25 years experience in the public health system, and remains a practising psychiatrist and lecturer
- Andrew was a founder of High Performance Healthcare and Co-founder and Co-President of McKesson Asia-Pacific, which was acquired by Medibank in 2010.