Young Visitors Health Insurance
Young Visitors Health Insurance addresses two key areas of health care: hospital and medical cover. Young Visitors Health Insurance has proven to be attractive for students on bridging visas waiting for permanent residency and young, healthy, budget-conscious visitors.
We provide cover for the following services:
- Treatment for injuries sustained in an accident (even if the service required is listed as an excluded service below)
- Ambulance services
- Appendicitis treatment
- Removal of tonsils and adenoids
- Surgical removal of wisdom teeth (for hospital charges only)
- Knee reconstruction surgery and investigations
- Shoulder reconstruction surgery and investigations
- All other in-hospital services recognised for Medicare benefit purposes that aren't listed as excluded below.
For the services listed above, we pay benefits (less any applicable hospital excess) towards:
- Private hospital accommodation
- Overnight accommodation in a private or shared room
- Same day admissions
- Intensive care
- Theatre fees
- Public hospital accommodation as a private patient
- Overnight accommodation in a private or shared room
- Same day admissions (shared room only)
- Surgically implanted prostheses and other items on the Federal Government's Prostheses Schedule
- Doctors' fees for in-hospital medical services when you are treated as a private patient.
Please note that any charge above your benefit will form part of your out-of-pocket expenses.
What's not covered?
We don't pay benefits towards the following excluded services:
- Heart-related services
- Obstetrics-related services, eg. pregnancy
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery (excludes cosmetic surgery)
- Fertility treatment eg. IVF & Gift programs
- Hip and knee joint replacement surgery
- Renal dialysis
- Major eye surgery – including cataract and lens-related services
- Psychiatric treatment
- Palliative care
- Rehabilitation treatment
Your hospital excess
An excess is an amount that you must pay towards your hospital treatment. A $300 hospital excess applies per person per calendar year for Young Visitors Health Insurance and does not apply to any children on the membership.
Prescription only pharmaceuticals – important information
You may incur significant out-of-pocket expenses if high cost pharmaceuticals are required for your treatment when in hospital. This is because Young Visitors Health Insurance only pays limited benefits for pharmaceuticals.
Most international visitors to Australia are not eligible for subsidised pharmaceuticals under the Pharmaceuticals Benefits Scheme (PBS).
Pharmaceuticals used in oncology (cancer) and other treatments can be very expensive for people who do not have access to subsidised pharmaceuticals.
For more information on the PBS visit health.gov.au and Things worth knowing.
The medical component pays benefits towards medical services that are listed under the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) and provided either in or out of hospital by a doctor (eg. general practitioner or specialist).
The MBS lists a standard fee for most medical procedures (MBS fee). The amount of benefit you can expect to receive from us is calculated as a percentage of the MBS fee.
With Young Visitors Health Insurance, Medibank will pay benefits equivalent to 100% of the Medicare Benefits Schedule fee. However, you will have to pay any additional cost if the doctor charges more than the benefits we pay you.
In-hospital medical benefits
We pay benefits towards medical services provided by a doctor or specialist that are included under your hospital cover, and listed under the MBS. For example, surgeon’s fees and anesthetist’s fees. No benefits are payable for services that
are excluded under your cover.
Out-of-hospital medical benefits
We pay benefits towards medical services provided by a doctor or specialist that are listed under the MBS. For example, doctor’s visits and pathology. No benefits are payable for services that are excluded under your cover.
Mi Health support services
Medibank member's with hospital cover have access to Mi Health, a range of health support services that include being able to speak to Medibank nurses 24/7 on our health advice line, online health information and tools, in hospital support* and mobile health apps.
* for overnight stays at selected Member's Choice hospitals. Not available in all areas. Please call us on 134 190 for details.
Is this cover right for you?
Young Visitors Health Insurance is designed for visitors, temporary residents, residents of Norfolk Island and other residents in Australia who are not eligible for full Medicare entitlements.
If you have a family or are planning a family, have specific health concerns or expect to use everyday services like dental, physiotherapy and chiropractic, Intermediate 70 Visitors Health Insurance or Top 85 Visitors Health Insurance may be better suited to your needs.
If you're an international student with a valid student visa, our Young Visitors Health Insurance will not satisfy your visa requirements. You should consider our Overseas Student Health Cover.
If you are coming to Australia on a Retiree subclass 410 visa, Young Visitors Health Insurance will not satisfy your visa requirements for comprehensive private health insurance. Instead you should consider our Top 85 Visitors Health Insurance.
If you are coming to Australia as a sponsored worker and are required to purchase private health insurance to obtain a subclass 457 visa, Young Visitors Health Insurance will not be satisfy your visa requirements. Instead you should consider one of our Working Visa Health Insurance covers.
Things Worth Knowing
Before you join it's important that you read and retain this information and Things worth knowing for details on things like waiting periods (including the waiting period for pre-existing conditions) and other benefit assessment information.
If you are unsure of a term or phrase used, check out our Glossary.